英语专业八级考试(TEM-8)的选材主要来自英美报刊杂志、广播电台或网站。其中一个包括:TED演讲,2018和2016年专八听力讲座(Mini-lecture)就来自TED演讲。建议大家平时多看多听TED演讲。




演说者:Federico Pistono

演说题目:真正拉开你与周围人之间差距的,是自学能力!

 TED学院 | 真正拉开你与周围人之间差距的,是自学能力!(音频-视频-文稿)
打开网易新闻 查看更多视频
TED学院 | 真正拉开你与周围人之间差距的,是自学能力!(音频-视频-文稿)

中英文对照翻译

I must say, this is my first time in Taiwan,Actually, my first in Asia.I'm really excited. And, um, thank you.I've only been here for two days, but谢谢你们的邀请,我很荣幸来到这里。

这是我第一次到台湾省,事实上是我第一次到亚洲来。我很兴奋,谢谢。我到这里才两天,不过,谢谢你们的邀请,我很荣幸来到这里。

Before I speak I’ve got something important to say.This is ted, so they told me to be very brief and to the point, concise.so I promise I'll as brief as possible no matter how long it takes.

开始之前我得先讲件重要的事,他们说因为是TED。必须简洁有力,所以不管讲多长 我一定都会非常简洁有力的。

I come from a conference that was held in Doha, Qatar。At the international education resources network summit one of the most important conference in the world about education.And I've done in a couple of other times.

我刚从卡塔尔的多哈会议回来,关于国际教育资源网络的会议,是全球关于教育最重要的会议之一,我之前已经参加过很多次了。

So,right.successful running around the world everything was laid out for me,not.and I come from a small village in the north of Italy.from a lower middle class family,actually to be perfectly honest, to European standard ,pretty poor family,and if I look back in my past I realize that very few would bet on me.

所以说,像这样。踏遍世界各地,我好像一开始就得天独厚,但其实不是这样。我来自北意大利的小村庄,我的家庭是属于中下阶层。其实以欧洲的标准来说是蛮穷的家庭。回首过去的我,看起来将来似乎不太会成功。

I was, you know, one of the losers,I was kind of a nerd.And proud of it, it was fun.still am. so um.But i mean, the school environment was really tough.you have to fight your way out.When I say fight, I don't mean in the metaphorical term.I mean, literally, fight.

我以前是所谓的loser,算是个书呆子。而且当时我很以此为傲,现在仍是。我要说的是当时的学校环境很糟,糟到你必须去打斗。我说打斗不是比喻,是真的要「打」。

And as you can tell,it is me right there,the tough looking one。that. yeah,I was clearly the strongest and the biggest of the whole bunch.no problem for me there

你可以看到这张照片,我在这里,看起来最凶猛的那个。恩。我是那群最强壮最大只的一位,没问题的。

when I was 14 I had to decide the high school to attend,And my teacher, he said to my mom。Ms...I'm sorry but your son is not one of the smart kids,not the one. He's, you know, kind of stupid,he was asking weird questions.You should just send him to work.

我十四岁那年,得决定去哪所高中。那时我的老师告诉我妈妈。很抱歉,你儿子不是个聪明的孩子。他有点驽钝。他老是问些奇怪的问题。你该让他直接去工作。

You know, don't bother send him to school,Certainly don't send him to Ginnasio, the toughest school in the country.I mean, ever。So my parents have been obviously the awesome parents they are。They didn't listen the piles of nonsense

不要让他继续读书了,尤其不需要送他去升学高中。那些是全国竞争最激烈的学校。不过显然我爸妈是很棒的家长。他们根本不听那些胡诌的话。

And they send me precisely to the school that they said I'll never be able to make it.And two years later I was given a chance。I won a full scholarship for a very prestigious school.In the north of Italy, closely to Slovenia, it's called United World College

他们就把我送去那所其他人认为我绝对无法去的学校,两年后我得到个机会。一间非常有名的大学给了我一笔全额奖学金。学校是在意大利北部,叫做联合世界书院。

Its mission was to make education a force to unite people,nations and cultures for peace and a sustainable future.Just like my previous school. same thing.Yeah I was kind of like that.But this is my turning point.

学校的愿景是让教育成为整合人民、国家、文化的力量,以迈向和平和永续的未来。这愿景跟我之前的学校一样,差不多是这样啦。但这是我人生的转折点

In that school I had amazing teachers. They were the best.Because more than just teachers,they were mentors.They were guides, and they were friends.They told us that we could be everything we wanted,We could do anything in our lives.

在那所学校,我有最棒的老师。不止是知识传授者,他们还是心灵导师。他们引导了我,也是我的好朋友。老师们说我们可以变成任何想成为的人,我们可以完成任何想做的事情。

If we believe we can do it,if we had a plan and if we acted on it right and making peace on earth was not a hippie dream It could have been a reality.So that gave me the vision and the strength to take on many challenges that have gone through my life.

只要我们相信做得到,只要我们有计划,只要我们去实践。即使世界和平也不是嬉皮梦。它可以实践。这拓展我的视野,也赐给我力量去接受人生中的各种挑战。

It brought me where I am today.If I'd listened to my teacher back in my previous school,I am probably sweeping the floor of the school by now.But how many kids didn't have this opportunity?It's nice to say the success story of one guy。How many people are stuck in the small town with uninspired teachers, violent classmates,and no hope on the horizon。

让我得以成为现在的我。如果我听从我前一所学校老师的话,我现在大概在替学校扫地。但有多少孩子没有这种机会?讲一个成功者的故事当然很好。但有多少人被局限在小村庄,只有无法鼓励他们的老师和暴力的同学,眼前毫无希望。

In the past of couples of years I traveled extensively in many countries,many continents,schools, universities,fortune 500 companies。And I can tell you that my story actually is not my story。It's maybe your story, or maybe your story,It's story of thousands of people that I spoke to individually

过去几年我到了很多国家,跨洲拜访了很多学校、大学,全球500强的公司。我告诉你,其实刚刚说的不是我的故事,它可能是你的故事,是上千位听我演讲的人的故事。

They came up to me and said,I have the same thing,Thank you。

这些听众跑过来跟我说,我也有同样的遭遇,谢谢你。

And theses are just the ones I spoke to in person

而这些只是来听过我演讲的人

It's probably millions of people or hundred of millions people. Who knows?

全球可能有几百万人甚至几千万人都有同样的遭遇?

This is a tragedy, right?

这是场悲剧,不是吗?

Why is this happening?

那为什么这会发生?

And many people ask the question

很多人问面对充满不确定性的未来

Are we preparing children for the uncertain future that lies ahead?

我们替孩子准备好了吗?

But before we can answer this question,

不过回答这个问题前

I think we first must address two very important issues.

首先有两个非常重要的议题要探讨

The first is do we even know what we are looking for?

第一是 我们真的知道我们要什么吗?

What's the purpose. What is education for?

教育的目的应该是什么?

Because if we don't agree what education is for then we can never say we're doing a good or a poor job.

因为如果我们对教育的目的没有共识,那我们就不能说,目前的教育方式是对是错。

I am going to tell you what education was for.

让我来告诉你教育原本的目的是什么

Education was created for making factory workers.

教育原本是为了培养工厂的劳工。

See at the end of 18th century. industrialization has the problem

工业在十八世纪末面临一个问题

They really had a hard time convincing people to leave the open fields and come to work at a factory with dark rooms,10~12 hour a day, 10 ~12 hours a day,

他们找不到人愿意到工厂上班,工厂里都是漆黑的房间

repeating the same monotonous mindless task over and over, obeying every order without ever questioning anything and never complain about it.

还要每天重复10到12小时乏味的工作,不需思考,只需一直做一直,听从命令,不能抱怨或质疑。

I mean you can see why they had trouble finding volunteers.

你就知道为什么工厂找不到人了

I'm sure you have seen the historical reenactment by Mr.Chaplin

透过卓别林的影片,大家能了解工业革命时期的困状

So they created something called public educations and placed you at where you are strictly separated by a year where you have to follow orders never question authority and do just what you're told. Sit down and shut up until you're told otherwise just obey orders.

所以公立教育才成立,公立教育用年龄把人区分,在那里必须遵守命令,绝不可以挑战权威,叫你做一就做一,坐下与闭嘴,除非叫你做别的,完全服从命令

We spent the first three years of our lives learning how to walk and talk, kind of useful skills I would say and for the rest we're told sit down and shut up.

我们在生命中的头三年学习走路讲话,或者说所谓「有用」的技能,之后我们只能坐下与闭嘴。

And yeah that sounds like a great idea

这听起来实在是个很好的主意

I'm gonna do that.

我很乐意这样做

Just follow as exactly as instructed, never question authority

只需要遵守指示 绝不挑战权威

I remember in the elementary school one day the teacher told us now children,whatever I ask I want all you to answer at once, understood? ok

我记得小学的时候有一次老师跟我们说,孩子们,现在不管我问什么,你们都要一起讲答案,懂了吗?好

So how much is six times four?

6乘以4等于多少

and we all said, at once!

然后我们就回答:答案!

See for the purpose that we set out for two hundred years ago the education system is doing fine.

如果我们追求的是两百多年前的教育目标,那现在的教育体系算是很好了

In fact, it's working perfectly creating obedient workers

没错,目前的方式很适合创造乖顺的劳工

The trouble is this approach is no longer useful

但问题是这种方式已经不适用了

It was never humane to begin with, but it was economically advantageous.

这一开始就不人性化只是为了帮助当时的经济

And now, it's neither.

可是现在连经济都帮不了

So are we preparing children for the uncertain future that lies ahead?

所以目前的教育体系能教导孩子如何面对未来吗?

The second problem is this: no matter the supposed expert would like to tell you

第二个议题是,无论那些所谓的「专家」告诉你什么,

Believe me, there are many of them, nobody really knows what the future is going to look like five years from now and let alone ten or twenty years which is when a child who's now in kindergarten will graduate and will have to find a job.

相信我,事实上没有人知道五年后会变成怎样,更别说十年二十年,在幼儿园的孩子,二十年后会毕业找工作。

What about the rest?What about the hundreds of millions of people who are working today and who could be out of a job

更别提上亿正在工作的人未来五年十年甚至二十年可能失业,

because they are displaced by robotics and artificial intelligence five, ten or twenty years from now

因为他们会遭机器人和人工智能取代

I hear that some guy wrote a book about that about robots will stealing your job.

我听过有人写了一本书叫机器人会来偷走你的工作

you can read for free at the PirateBay

你可以在海盗湾(档案分享网站)上免费看到

It's illegal. It's creative commons open knowledge.

去海盗湾下载是违法的,不过这本书有共创(CC)授权条款

So we only know one thing for certain

总而言之我们只确定一件事

that the only constant is change.

只有「改变」是永恒不变的

After all, Entropy is not what used to be

毕竟熵的意义和以前也不一样

Change will always come and most likely at an increasing pace

改变总会到来,而且极可能会越来越快

With this in mind I think we must do three things.

知道这个观念后我认为我们必须做三件事

The first we must prepare to accept change in stead of fighting it

首先我们必须接受改变而不是抗拒它

I've been afraid of changes many times

我以前很常畏惧改变

I didn't want to change school, I didn't want to change jobs

我不想换学校和工作

Let me tell you whenever I was afraid to do something

告诉你,当我害怕做某件事时

I didn't want to change

我都不想改变

Those are by far the most depressing moments of my life

然而那些时候却是我人生中最低潮的时刻

Being afraid is not nice

害怕改变并不好

It's paralyzing

它使人无法向前

Because when you are afraid, you're afraid to fail

因为你害怕就意味着你害怕失败

You're afraid that yeah, I would not make it to that school

你害怕没进那所学校

I would not win the scholarship

害怕不能得到奖学金

I would not be able to change up and find something else.

害怕我不能够找到更好的方案

You know. They were right. I was stupid

他们是对的,我不够聪明

I couldn't learn. I couldn't learn lalalalaal

我学不会,我学不会,等等等等等等

It's a downward spiral.

就像无底洞一样

We live in a society that stigmatizes mistakes.

我们这个社会把错误污名化

We've been living in where failure is not an option

我们认为失败不能是个选项

And that we should play safe

因此我们总是寻求安全的路

Study something that will get you a safe job

读热门科系才能找到工作

Work for a big company, look for stability

进大企业工作以寻求稳定

But you see, in the future of great uncertainty stability is the illusion of the unimaginative.

但是我们都知道未来充满不确定性,稳定根本是假象

lifelong. I think we must move away from the idea that teaching is for adults, and learning is for kids.

第二点是终身学习,我们打破「成年人就是教导,小孩就是学习」思维

Learning is a lifelong experience.

学习该是终身

And anybody can be a mentor, a teacher, or a friend to someone else.

而且任何人都能是心灵导师是传授知识的老师、朋友

Or a guide.

或者是指导者

In our strictly individualistic society,

在这个极度个人主义的社会

our personal success is imperative

个人的成就成了必要

So we have standardized tests

所以我们有标准化的考试

we try to get the best grades

我们试图考最高分

at the best school

进最好的学校

so we can get to the best university

才可以考取到最好的大学

and then we can get to best job and outcompete everyone else and be successful.

争取到最好的工作并打败他人取得成功

But in a collaborative society

但在一个合作的社会

your accomplishments. An accomplished individual is one that contribute the most

成功的人应该是贡献最多的人

both of their personal development as well as that of their fellow human beings.

包括个人成就和对群体的成就

When I was at school I remember that

我记得我在学校的时候

the way I learned best was not when the teacher was talking

最好的学习方式并不是老师在说教的时候

was when one of my classmates would come up to me and say

而是我同学过来问我说

hey how? this is how you do it ?

你是怎么做到的?

Like in five minutes we would solve something that in 2 hours of lesson that nobody understood

我们在五分钟内解决了两个小时的课堂上没人懂的问题

and I thought why can't we just get to that

我想我们为何不像这样

Those 5 minutes of peer learning

用五分钟 透过同侪间的学习方式学习

and when I was teaching someone else

当我在教别人时

I was really testing my ability of understanding and reciprocating that

我也在考验我的理解程度以及表达能力

And also it was much more fun and engaging

而且教人真的很好玩

It was rewarding to be able to teach to someone

教别人的时候你可以看见

you can see in their eyes like there've been going like tho sfor 2 hours

他们为了这个问题搞了两个钟头

and you teach them in two minutes and their eyes go like

你两分钟就把他们教会,他们的眼睛会像这样

yeah! I get it! It's fun, right?

哇!我懂了!很好玩不是吗?

And we need time to experiment to make mistakes, to teach yourself, to teach others maybe with interesting problems

我们必须花时间去实验去犯错、教别人、也教自己,也许可以透过很有趣的问题

not, here's the vacuum. Imagine this idealized...no no no, real life problems

而不是,这是真空环境,假设...不不不,一定要真实的课题

Problems that have many solutions maybe no optimal solutions maybe no one know what the answer is maybe there are no answers. Who knows?

问题可能有很多解决之道,也许没有最理想的解法,或者说一定根本没人知道答案,甚至根本没有答案 谁知道呢?

Fun and challenging problems and the process of discovery just like they were saying "starve them, not stuff them." The speaker before me.

当你试着探索有趣且具挑战的问题,就像之前的讲者说的「让他们渴望知识 而不是塞知识给他们」

It's exactly right

非常有道理

Discovery. Learning is a process that happens when you're interested and engaged.

好的学习过程 是会让人很快乐以及非常投入的

Not when you're receiving

一直接收讯息并不代表学习

This way, you foster an innate curiosity

透过好的学习方式 会激起

that is inside all of us.

内心与生俱来的好奇心

And finally I think we must develop a stronger culture of grit

最后 我认为我们必须培养一个有毅力的文化

Grit means passion. It means perseverance. It means never giving up.

毅力的意思是热忱、持续力、永不放弃

The determination

这种决心

So many people see my success story

很多人看了我成功的故事

and they wonder what's different about me

他们好奇我有什么不一样

Am I special? No

我很特别吗?不是

Do I come from a rich family? No

我家很有钱吗?也不是

Am I some sort of genius? Nonsense, my teacher said that I was too stupid too learn

我是天才吗?当然不是!我的老师说我笨到无法学习

So what's different? It's very simple

那到底哪里不一样?很简单

I had somebody who believe in me and I never gave up

有人相信我而且我从不放弃

That's it

就这样

Studies has shown that intelligence, talent and social status have very little correlation with your long term success in life

研究显示智力、才华和社会地位跟你长期的成功没有太大的关联

So if you can find the person

如果你能够找到

If you can find somebody who believes in you

相信你的人

Somebody who can look at you in the eye and tell you that you're not stupid, you're not crazy

这位可直视你的眼睛,告诉你你不笨,你并不疯狂

go for it

去做吧

THAT changes everything, everything

那会改变所有一切,完全改变

My drive has always been to fix stuff. and whenever I saw something I want to be there to fix it, or make it better or finding it get more optimal resolutions.

我很喜欢修理东西,我看到任何东西都想修理它,让他变好一点,或者帮它找到比较理想的办法

whenever I saw a toy or a desk and bicycle or the school or politics in Italy.

无论是玩具、书桌或脚踏车,无论是意大利的学校还是政治

I want to fix everything didn't matter what it was

无论是什么我都想修理

couldn't help it

没办法

and when I was twelve I saw this thing, this computer which I could program myself and it will do stuff for me

我十二岁的时候我看到计算机发现可以写程序来帮我做事

and I was like holy cow

我那时觉得天呀!

this is amazing

这太神奇了

Seriously, I didn't have any money

我根本没钱

I didn't have any resources, I don't have any budget

没有资源或预算

But suddenly, I could solve humongous problems

但突然间这么庞杂的问题

that used to required thousands of people

以前需要很多人去解决

just by myself

竟然我自己就可以搞定

the only thing I needed was

而我只需要的只是决心

determination, passion, interest, and patience. lots of patience.

热忱、兴趣、以及许多许多的耐心

but then

接着

when I found a community of activists, of hackers, of makers

我看到社会运动的份子,甚至黑客

people who challenge me, people who inspire me

他们挑战我、激励我

everything got so much better, so much faster, so much quicker

所有的东西都变得更好、更快

and so much more interesting and engaging.

而且更有趣

It increased my range, in orders of magnitude

拓展我的视野

and we need to foster our creativity.

我们需要激发的创造力

I think that has a lot to do with mentorship

而我认为这与心灵导师有很大的关系

with guidance

协助指引

First I had my parents who believed in me

一开始我有父母相信我

And then, my school, the college

接下来是学校和大学

and then countless other people to which

以及许多人

I owe everything

我欠这些人

everything that I am now

我现在拥有的一切

there are many people here on the stage

你可以看见

you can see them

好多人在这舞台上

not crazy, I don't really see them

我还没疯,当然这些人不是真的在我身旁

but you know what I mean

不过你懂我的意思

I am standing on their shoulders

我站在这些巨人的肩膀上

If it hadn't been for them, I would not be here now

若非他们我今天不会站在这

talking to you

和你们讲话

and technology is now making this process easier, more skills available than ever.

而科技让资源变得比以前更容易取得

Because your mentor doesn't have to be in the same village, doesn't have to be in the same town

你的心灵导师不必和你来自同一个城镇

or even the same country

不必来自同一个国家

doesn't even have to speak the same language

甚至不需要说同一种语言

we can't forget that only 6% of the world speak English natively

别忘了世界上以英语为母语的人只有6%

and 73% of the world doesn't understand any English

还有73%的人一点英文都不懂

But now technology is taking down all these barriers.

今日的科技打破了这些藩篱

For the first time in human history

这是人类史上第一次

we have the technological tools to bring about a revolution in education

可以利用科技革命教育

But it won't come by itself

但革命不会自己发生

We need people too

革命需要人来推动

and also we need the right mindset

也需要对的心态

So that's my project, esplori

这是我的计划叫Esplori

Imagine if the sum of human knowledge were available to everyone, on earth,

想想如果任何人,无论他在哪、说哪种语言

anywhere on earth, to everyone in any language on video

都可以取得所有的知识

and imagine you could be a farmer in India

想象你是印度的农夫

or a hacker in Taiwan

或是台湾的计算机鬼才

or a solar engineer in Ecuador

或是厄瓜多的太阳能工程师

Imagine if you can teach your skill to anybody

想想你可以把你的技能传授给世上任何人

regardless where they are, or what language they speak

无论他们在哪,说什么话

or how rich they are

甚至有没有钱

wouldn't it be great?

不是很棒吗?

But better yet, what if you can be a guide

若是你能够成为一个指引

what if you could be a mentor

一位心灵导师

to someone who hasn't figured out yet what they want to do

帮助那些尚未清楚他们要什么的人

whenever I travel, I see thousands and thousands of young people

每次到世界各地,我都会碰动好多好多年轻人

kids who tell me that I don't know what to do

甚至小孩 跟我说他不知道要做什么

but I need to decide my university and my parents are telling me this and my job and blalalalala

但现在得决定大学该去哪,该从事什么,我爸妈又要我做什么什么

They don't have the time to think, to experiment

他们没时间去思考,去尝试

They don't have any guidance

他们没有人引导他们

What if we could use technology to make that happen easily

如果我们能透过科技,则更容易引导他们

Imagine a strong community of dedicated individuals

一群愿意奉献的人

who want to help each other

互相帮助

who are solving challenging and fun problems

解决具挑战性却有趣的问题

everything that I have talked about until now in this 13 minutes

刚刚这十三分钟内讲的话

Everything that I've learned in my life

我过去所学的

everything that I am

我现在的一切

is right here in this project

都在这个计划里

so this is it

所以该这么说

It's my mission, my passion.

这是我的任务、热忱

It's my drive.

我的动力

It's what keeps me awake at night at 3 a.m and happy to do it

这是让我凌晨三点还醒着做,但非常快乐的东西

and with your help

借着各位的帮助

I think we can make it.

我们可以成功

So that's my part

所以呢

and since this is a conference about education

既然这是关于教育的演讲

here's your homework

在此给大家一个回家作业

If you can inspire somebody

如果你可以激励一个人

to follow their passion

促使他跟着他的热忱走

If you can give them a chance,and make them feel special.I can tell you. In fact, I can guarantee you,from personal experience,You will have saved a life.So off you go,save a life

如果你有机会,让他明白自己是非凡的人。我以我亲身经历,向你保证,你可以拯救他的人生。所以各位去吧!去拯救他的人生!

TED学院合集


1








2







3







4






5





6




7








8







9








10









11







12











13






14









15







16







  • 如何建立你的自信,甚至激发他人的自信(音频-视频-文稿

17










18










19











20











21










22











23











24











25











26